Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ah Life...

So life has just been hectic around here! Between moving into the in-law's and adjusting to living with 2 families other than our own, homework, pharmacy school applications, camping, Sophie crawling, weaning, money, running, work, deciding whether I should go back to work, etc etc, it's just been busy. Some days I just wonder what the heck I'm doing and end up doing nothing - and then I'm mad that I didn't get anything done! (Sigh) I guess that's just life for ya.

Anyway, so what's going on with us you ask? Well, maybe you didn't ask, but since this is my blog and I'm the one who gets to decide what we talk about, I'm going to tell you. I'm still trying to train for a half marathon and am thinking that I may be in over my head. Jon and I try to run when he gets off of work (yep, that's around midnight or midnight-thirty), but I am having a hard time. Some days, I just don't feel like running. This, of course, should be when I run more, but of course I don't ever see it that way at the time. The other problem is that I still can't run a full mile without gasping for breath and puffing away at my inhaler (which probably doesn't do much good because it expired a few years ago...) We usually end up walking for part of it. I've also noticed that on the few occasions that I can push myself to run a little farther and a little better, when we are done I will get extremely dizzy and my face and limbs will go numb - almost like when I used to have my panic attacks, only I'm not panicking. And it's not due to lack of oxygen, or even to much oxygen, because it usually happens after I have my breathing under control. It's never happened in the past when I used to exercise pretty regularly, and it's only happened twice so far, but I'll feel the affects for a while after. Hmm, maybe if my stupid blankety-blank insurance company can ever get their blank together then I'll go to the doctor and get a new inhaler and ask him about it. Anyway, the point in this is that I'm thinking I may have aimed too high in wanting to run a half marathon - considering that people who are in shape and run all the time have a hard time training for it. I still want to do one, but I don't think it will be next spring. I think I'm going to set my goal for a 5K instead, and then work my way up from there. It's disappointing, but with the dizzy spells I've been getting (the first one causing me to tip over into the counter and then have to sit on the floor for 10 minutes before being able to move to a chair...) I'm thinking that I should take it slow.

In lighter news, I have successfully weaned Sophia! I tried to keep going, and then one day I sort of snapped and had a slight breakdown and decided that I was done. Luckily Jon could see just how done I was (plus I had been complaining of Sophia trying to undress me in church - I'm pretty sure I flashed the Relief Society president...) and he was a HUGE supporter and an even bigger help. He actually had to feed her the first few times because she didn't understand why I wasn't just feeding her normally, but then we made the transition and after some tears and frustration we got it. Jon is seriously the best - I couldn't have done it without him and I would have ended up being miserably unhappy about it had he not been there to help me. I love that he supports me so much. I'm definitely glad I did it - even now - but it was hard. I'm thinking that in the future I will probably wean sooner rather than later, but that's just me.

Also, Jon got his PCAT scores back! He didn't do as well as he hoped, but he did a heck of a lot better than last time! So we've been looking at schools around the country trying to get ready to apply. The frustrating part is that every year the schools will come up with 2 or 3 more classes to add to their pre-requisites, which of course puts us further behind. Such as Biochemistry - it used to be part of the pharmacy school curriculum, but now a lot of schools are asking for you to take it beforehand. But we've found a few schools that we only need a class or two to get into, so we'll be turning in applications for those and see what happens. I think the most likely school will be University of Wyoming, where Jon's brother went, but we'll see. I've decided that I don't really care where we go, just as long as we can go.

Anyway, I know that this is one of those posts with no pictures, which no one ever reads because no one really cares about anything but pictures (it's okay, I know) but I just wanted to let out some steam in a productive, non-aneurysm causing way. :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my gosh! I totally have those days where I am stressed about everything and end up doing pretty much nothing. Don't feel bad about the half marathon, but keep at the exercising. My cousin was able to literally get rid of his asthma when he joined his high school swim team. He wanted to join the Air Force after he graduated and they wouldn't let him because his medical history had asthma on it. Anyway he went to a doctor and got tested again and he really had gotten rid of it! I don't know if everyone can do it or not but he supposes its just from strengthening his lungs. Anyway, I'm blabbing. I just want to tell you I admire you. I also HATE running and have very little motivation to do it. You make me want to try harder though. Thanks!!!

Heather said...

hey, i read the whole thing, even though it doesn't have any pictures. :)

way to go at running, you're doing great! life just gets crazy sometimes. wit working 2 jobs and going to school, i'm lucky to make it to the gym twice a week. just do the best you can!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for puffing instead of having an aneurysm. :) And yes, I read the whole things too. I didn't know you guys moved...did the state finally buy your house, or what is happening with that? Good luck with your training...you're much braver than I am!! :)

Sharece said...

I read it too! Call me crazy, but sometimes I enjoy these pictureless posts.
Thanks for coming to visit me last week, it was so good to see you. Hope you had fun and have fun camping!