Then I had the baby, and they got ridiculously huge. In fact, I actually broke my first nursing bra. No joke! While I was wearing it - not tugging at it or playing with it or anything - the strap in the back just came off. When I went to look at it, I saw that the stitching had popped! It wasn't a weak stitch either - no it looked like it had been pretty strong - but the boulders on my chest proved to be too much for the poor little strap and it just couldn't hold on any longer. (Sigh)
Yeah so that was fun. After that, they were always big and sore. Now, they range from big and sturdy, to loose and floppy. My bra is always either too tight, just right, or way to big - depending of course on the time of day and which meal it is. Sometimes one side fits and the other doesn't. This bothers me. A lot. I'm sick of having deflated water balloons on my chest. I have the highest respect for those women who can breastfeed for a whole year - because Sophia will be 7 months old in 2 days and I am SOOOOO ready to be done. In fact it's something I've been thinking about all month long. I've looked at the benefits for breastfeeding past 6 months, and yes I can see that there are some - but it also seems that the most critical time period is from birth to 6 months. I'm thinking that it's time to wean. However, there are things to consider with both options:
Things to consider for formula feeding:
- How are we going to afford all of that formula?
- Do I really want to make a bottle that early in the morning?
- Sophia hates the taste of formula, so I'll have to pump and then mix - which also sounds like a pain compared to just having it ready on hand.
- Formula poop is stinky - and so is formula spit up.
- I will not keep losing weight as steadily - breastfeeding has been helping a lot with that.
- Hard to leave Sophia anywhere where I'm not at because she doesn't like formula and she doesn't like bottles again, however if successfully weaned then it will become easier
- I can have my little boobs back
Things to consider for continuing breast feeding:
- I will have to keep my fluctuating sized breasts even longer
- She will get teeth eventually....(shudder)
- If I were to get a job right now (considering) then I would have to pump at work and store it at work. Hmmm...
- Supposedly breastfeeding for a year will reduce the risk of her getting diabetes, asthma, braces (don't know how that one works...) and some other diseases later in life, as well as the fact that breastfed babies tend to score up to 8 points higher on IQ tests. (Though I have no idea how old they are when they test them, because I've never seen a difference between breast or formula fed babies when they're still babies)
- I will be a prisoner of my child for up to 5 more months (I refuse to go past a year)
- She is very good at pulling blankets off of her face - not good when feeding around other people
- She may figure out that the food is under the clothing and try to get to it while in public places - could get awkward.
- I can continue to lose weight a little easier
So there you have it. Mentally and emotionally, I'm ready to be done with breastfeeding. However financially and physically I may not be ready. (Sigh)
I know that there are a lot of people out there who will want me to continue breastfeeding for a year. Who knows, I might. Then there will be people who say that I should wean now. Who knows, I might do that too. I just wanted to get all of my angst over this out of my head so that I can work through it easier





10 comments:
O my goodness, that post just cracked me up! Haha. :) I don't miss the lopsided-ness or the leakiness of it... But I was very sad when I was done breastfeeding to find that my boobs actually shrank. That's right they were even smaller than before I was pregnant. :( I guess we can never have it the way we want it. :)
And just do whichever is best for you. Either option is alright, I think. One idea if you do stop breastfeeding, sign up at similac.com and enfamil.com. They usually send you free formula... And buy the off brand (Like Costco or Parent's Choice.) They're still good for your baby and much less expensive. Just something to think about.
Good luck deciding! It's not an easy decision!
Mindy, I definitely think you should do what you feel you need to do - and it's totally your decision. It's so hard - I know. I never breast fed, so I'm not a good one to give advise. I found it too hard, and I'm too busy to be able to do that... :)
My kids loved soy formula. They did really good on that. I also did the Walmart brand, which my doctor said was the same as the expensive stuff.
Good luck! I know that's a hard decision, but you'll know what's best for you and your adorable little Sophia.
I chose not to breastfeed. I know... bad mom. But it just wasn't right for me. At least not with my first baby. I was scared of being attached to my baby 24/7 and wanted Scott's help. Also, I was bottle-fed and I can't tell the difference between who was breastfed and bottle fed either. I may try it with my 2nd though. Anyway if you choose not to breastfeed anymore, the Sam's club Members Mark formula is pretty much identical to Enfamil with Lipil and is WAYYYY cheaper. Sam drinks 30oz of formula a day (babies need 24-32 at this age). He costs about $60 in formula a month. (One $20 can lasting 10 days.) Also, like Sharece I swore my boobs shrunk too - maybe not, but its the first place most women loose weight. =S
haha! Mindy, I literally just laughed out loud at the beginning of this post! Sorry, I have absolutely no advice for your decision, but thanks for the laughs. good luck!
You forgot that breast feeding also helps against breast cancer for us women, helps with childhood obesity, that formula costs about 100.00 dollars a month ( at least it did 5 years ago), and that it really, REALLR sucks to get up at 2am to make a bottle. Just pointing some more things out.
Oh man. I CAN RELATE! I went through this debate daily with my little boy. I wanted to wean Trae so many times, but he would not, NOT take formula. It was bad and long and hard, but I did it. It did get better when I cut down to only feeding him 3 times a day, much better. I ended up finally drying up (and not noticing, prompting Trae to loose lots of weight) at about 10 months I think. And then I was SHOCKED by how much money we spent on formula and now I'm kind of glad I didn't wean earlier.
Anyway, my point is you need to decide for yourself. Try not to let other people influence you because even though it doesn't feel like it, they are actually your boobs! :) And you will love having them back when you decide to.
I think it's awesome you have done it for this long because I think most woman stop around 4-6 months. I remember not being able to wait till that year mark so I could finally have my body "mine" again and not having to plan my life on 3 hour spurts. I am soooo glad I waited till that year mark and it was such a great feeling of accomplishment for me. And no disrespect towards anyone who does stop before a year, but I was so proud that I had put my own wants a side and did what was best for my baby. I think breastfeeding is a huge sacrifice for mothers but it is so worth it! When I was 15 and I got diagnosed with a liver disease, my dr.s told me I would never be able to breastfeed when I had children. I was so sad. Right when I first found out I was pregnant with Krew, they told me there was new studies and that I would be able to. I remember being so happy and now I realize what a blessing and privilege it is to be able to breastfeed. Whatever you end up deciding to do I'm sure you will make the best decision for you and your baby. Good luck! :)
p.s. sorry about my rambling... :)
Hey Mindy, sorry you are having such a tough time with this! Obviously it is a hard decision to make, and there are a lot of factors. Whatever you do, you should be proud of yourself for breastfeeding this long, great job! I would love to encourage you to keep at it and go a full year, but I am not you!
Zander and I have been breastfeeding for 13 months now and luckily for us we haven't had many problems. He has two teeth but it has never been a problem for us. If you need some support or anything I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Good luck!
you are awesome! I say if you want to stop, then stop. Breastfeeding for a year is hard. and about the boob thing, mine haven't shrunk back to the small size they used to be, but hopefully yours will! You can pump and freeze and quit sooner. What I had to do with my little boy when I stopped (he was 10 months) I made a bottle and set it by me and turned him around so he was looking at it, and he would stare at it and finally grab it when he was hungry. Good luck!
I wanted to breastfeed Ky, but the whole galactosemia made that impossible, hello soy formula (LOTS worse than regular formula), but good thing she didnt have the disease just a carrier of it. But it was also possible for Kade to have the disease too, so hello soy again, but just found out he doesnt even carry gene, so he can go back to regular formula. (We get checks from Good Start (equals free 12 oz can), Enfamil and Similac--sign up on websites or use post cards in drs office and trade for what you need on ksl, plus I have gotten LOTS of free formula on there. TOTALLY understand the hatred of big boobs, but try going from DDD to I!!! TWICE!! I pumped with Ky for a week, but then we got in a car wreck and went on several medications, so I quit. I contemplated pumping this time, but I really want a breast reduction because they hurt all the time. But thats just me. Many will try to tell you that breastfeeding is better than formula, and others will tell you the oposite. But it's up to you to decide what works for you and your baby. Good luck in the decision making. Also if you want to try formula and haven't received any in mail, ask your ob or Sophia's pediatrician, every dr visit we get tons of formula, and ask if they have any 'sample' bottles (we got a playtex drop-in with silicone nipple from the dr during Kade's circ), each baby has different preference for bottle nipples, so good luck finding one Sophia likes if you go that route.
Post a Comment