Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Where Do You Want To Be In 10 Years..."

Did anyone ever have to do one of these in high school? Where you have to say where you want your life to be in 5 years, and then in 10 years? Well I did. I remember I did one when I was 16. I don't remember if it was in school or in Young Women's, but I do remember thinking, "How the heck should I know?" and thinking that life was good enough right then that I'm sure I would be fine with whatever was happening in 10 years. Of course I wrote down some things, just general ones that I put on there just to fulfill the assignment (I'm not THAT much of a planner I guess!) but the ones that I do remember is saying that I wanted to be married by this point and wanted to have children (or be close to having children).

Well, it's been 10 years. Wow. 10 years ago I was 16, and I knew everything and ruled the world. I got asked out by my first boyfriend the day I turned 16, had my first kiss, got my drivers license, was loving being in Colorguard and in Band, got my first job at the movie theater (woot), had my first break-up later that year, went to my first school dances, my best friends were Katie and Sharece, and while I knew that the future was ever looming ahead of me, I truly lived in the moment. So I guess the question is: Where am I now?


Now, I am 26. I still know everything, and I still rule the world. Okay, so I knew that I didn't know everything when I was 16, and I know even more so that I don't know everything now, but I'm okay with that. :) In the past 10 years I graduated from high school, had my heart broken a couple of times, met the love of my life, got married, bought a house (the house is now rubble to make room for a road), traveled a little (mostly for work, but hey! Travel is travel!), had my beautiful daughter that I love more than anything, made some amazing friends and met some amazing people, kept in touch with old friends, grew closer to my family than ever before, moved to Arizona, bought our second home, met more amazing people, have another baby on the way, and am back applying to work in a movie theater (okay, it's the play center so I'd be watching kids instead of making popcorn at least!). Oh, and I've gained a few pounds and stretchmarks along the way. :-\



I think I've learned in the past 10 years, more than anything else, to trust in God and to know that every new change is a new adventure. I've learned that even if you think you know the plan, you don't always, and that's okay. If life turned out the way I had planned it when I was in high school.........oh dear I don't even want to think about it! I guess I'm just happy to know that my Heavenly Father has helped guide me to where I am today, and I'm so thankful every day that I had the courage to listen to Him and to ask for his guidance during those times when I didn't know which way was up. Because of this, I have become the person I am today, and I am truly happy with this.

So now what? What can I expect in the next 10 years? Well, I'll have to work on that list for a bit, because I'm still not sure. I know that we'll work on getting Jon through school and into his career, I may go to school for something (I really need to, but I still don't know what!), I'll finish having kids and enjoy watching them grow, hopefully we'll move back to Utah, oh, and of course I'll become a world famous supermodel. Or something like that... Who knows! All I know is that I will pray and trust in the Lord and in my family and that regardless of what happens in between now and then, we'll still be together and happy. :)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Bravo Bravo, Encore, Encore! Nice post. When you were graduating from high school I was already knocked up with my oldest. I feel old now. lol

Sharece said...

Good times. What a clever post. So... Remember that time that you, Katie, and I got all decked out for (was it 80's day?) Just to realize that NOBODY else had a speck of unusualness about them! Haha, o man were we embarrassed! And how quickly I went from being jealous of your awesomeness to relief from my lack of it. Haven't thought about that in awhile. That picture of you, Erik, and Katie just brought it all back to me. :)