So, I really don't want anyone to get offended by anything I write here - just keep in mind that I'm trying to be fair and I'm talking in general, not pointing anyone out. Also, I'm not encouraging or discouraging who you vote for this November - as I myself have not decided who I will vote for myself, I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to convince you one way or the other in this very personal decision.
Now with the presidential election coming up, of course as always there are a lot of emails going around saying "Support him!" or "Vote for him because...". I really don't mind those - everyone has their opinions on the election and as long as they are promoting the good things in the election, then I'm all for it. However there seems to be a lot more of the emails in regards to "He's a bad person because..." "He's not a true American because..." "Can you believe that he believes in...". Up until now I've been quiet and frankly have just been deleting emails without reading them if I think that that's what they are going to be saying. That is until someone in my family decided to stand up to it. She wasn't harsh or demeaning, but she was realistic. Here's what she said:
"I found the e-mail about if Muslims can make good Americans completely offensive to me and to several friends that I have that are Islamic. Yes they are allowed to befriend others. What I learned from these people is how alike we are. I gave a talk from an Ensign Article about nine years ago in Smithfield called "On Islam" (I think). This was before 9/11. The foresight of the first presidency is incredible. The article pointed out how much we have in common and the values that we cherish. I will look the article up and forward it to everyone. Hopefully we can learn a little more understanding and tolerance before we leap to judgement and political rhetoric. Calling Barac Obama out for his religion is no different than say Mitt Romney would be subject to the Prophet's every whim if president or a Catholic would only answer to the Pope. Let's try not to be absurd."
I agree with this 100%, and frankly am so glad that it was said. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or even just Christians or good people in general, how can we really support some of the slanderish emails that have been circulating? Deep down I'm sure everyone's thinking, "Well I just want to make sure that my rights are protected." That's just fine! By all means, send the emails saying "Look what this person is going to do for our country, rights and beliefs?" rather than resorting to prejudiced and bigotted opinions of people that we only hear from other ignorant closed-minded people? I'm just as guilty of this in the fact that I haven't said anything until now - just months before the election. I'm not saying that you have to vote for Obama or that you have to vote for McCain - this should be a very personal decision for everyone. Frankly I don't know who I'm going to vote for right now, but I can tell you that circulating emails that are prejudice or ignorant is not what's going to turn my vote one way or the other.
For those of you who are LDS, there have been countless talks on prejudice in the church. Here's some quotes that I found:
"In this gospel view there is no room for a contracted, narrow, or prejudicial"
-Howard W. Hunter The Gospel—A Global Faith
"It was George C. Marshall who wisely said, 'We must take the nations of the world as they are, the human passions and prejudices of people as they exist, and find some way to secure … a peaceful world.' Peace must be a triumph of principles."
-Marvin J. Ashton Peace—A Triumph of Principles
"We might deny ourselves a nearness to our Savior because of our prejudices of neighborhood or possessions or race—attitudes that Christ would surely condemn."
-David B. Haight Love All
"Prejudice is hardly new. But he also knew that until the surface features of habits and traits were accepted, prejudice would keep men apart."
-Victor L. Brown Jr. Minorities: A Latter-day Saint Definition
"President Spencer W. Kimball stated the Church’s position well: “We do wish that there would be no racial prejudice. Racial prejudice is of the devil."
-Alexander B. Morrison “No More Strangers”
These talks, while oftentimes are talking about prejudism within our own church, are just as meaningful to those not in our faith. Especially while looking at the history of the LDS church, and how our ancestors were treated when just trying to live and worship as they wanted. How can we then turn and speak of someone else in this manner?
Please, when voting this year for who will be our next president, all that I ask is that you don't vote for someone or not vote for someone based on the color of their skin, their religious beliefs, or any other petty argument. Remember when Obama first started running for president and there was a controversy over his middle name?!?!? That is just ridiculous! Don't let that sway your vote. Please Please Please Please, do your research! Vote for our next president based on his political views, not his religious. If you don't agree with either of them, then write in someone new!
Also remember that when the elections are over, regardless of who becomes our next president, that it is stated in Article of Faith #11 that, "We claim the privelege of worshiping the Almighty God according to the dictates of our own concience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where or what they may."
Again, I just want to point out that this is not aimed at anyone directly, and that if you feel that I was aiming it at you then I wasn't. I hope I didn't offend anyone too much by this, and if so then I'm sorry, as this was not my intention. I just want to be fair.
If you want a post with pictures, then there's an update on my car below - much less heated post. :)
~M.
What I Wore This Week - April 6-10
4 months ago





1 comment:
AMEN GIRL!!!!!
Post a Comment